13 Best E-Learning Apps In 2022
13 Best E-Learning Apps In 2022
Last Updated on August 27, 2022
Education is as important as oxygen, water, and food for a human being. So, apps for education are developed and launched in the market at a massive speed. As per Statista, in 2020 App Store recorded 470 million downloads of only educational apps and on the other hand, Google Play Store recorded 466 million.
E-Learning apps are making it quite easy for an individual to gain knowledge on particular topics. Therefore gaining high numbers in revenue as well. According to PR News Wire, the educational apps market is set to gain a growth of 70.55 Billion this year.
What Is An Educational App?
An app that is capable of delivering knowledge and educating individuals on different topics remotely is called an educational app.
Why Educational Apps Are Becoming Popular?
In this era of digitalization, an individual has the opportunity to learn and gain expertise in any skill. Here come the educational apps with their large inventory of courses.
Pursuing any course through the app remotely helps a person develop his learning. Through these apps, any person from any part of the world can be having his desired courses.
As educational apps are technology bound, learners not only receive theoretical knowledge but also watch video animation or real photos and videos.
E-Learning apps are taking learning to a whole new level. Education is everyone’s right and due to the apps, this right is being utilized by everyone properly. Below is a list of the top 13 quality apps for educational purposes.
13 Top Quality Educational Apps
1. BYJU’s Learning
BYJU’s Learning is an India-based online learning app. The app provides students with a huge variety of learning modules and content. BYJU’s Learning was founded by Byju Raveendran and Divya Gokulnath in 2011.
- BYJU”s Learning has the K to 12 students as their target customers
- With over 100 million downloads and 6.5 million subscribed customers, BYJU’s Learning is India’s biggest and one of the biggest educational apps in the world
- Although the app contains almost all the subjects a student in K to 12 group need, maths and science is the expertise of BYJU’s Learning
- Videos, tasks, and games are medium of teaching in the app
- Launching free live classes BYJU’s Learning has taken the lead in the educational apps market
Currently, in the online educational apps market, Udemy is definitely in the top 2 due to its variety of courses. In 2010 Eren Bali, Oktay Cagler, and Gagan Biyani launched the currently successful Udemy app.
- Udemy has courses in over 65 languages
- With over 1,96,000 courses Udemy is the most diversified learning platform currently available in the world
- Udemy has expanded its user count to almost 52 million as of 2022
- Udemy targets the young adult learners with its diversified available courses
- The app provides students with lectures, videos, practical assignments, and certificates as well
- Udemy has fixed its courses fee comparably lower than other available options
3. Khan Academy
Khan Academy is bringing a revolution in the educational app sector. The app has taken a huge step in its business model as all of its content is free for everyone. Sal Khan is the founder of the educational platform as he launched the app back in 2008.
- The most important key feature of Khan Academy is its non-profit model
- Khan Academy provides education in 50 different languages
- Khan Academy has over 48 million registered users across 190 countries
- The educational platform is not limited to only maths and science as it also has videos on humanities, economics, and arts
- Khan Academy has not any specific target customers as it has its aim of no earning to provide education
edX is a US-based educational app founded by MIT and Havard. The app was founded in 2012 under the leadership of Anant Agarwal. Later the platform has received universities such as Berkeley as its course creators.
- The app edX is associated with Harvard and MIT hence the worth of completing the courses through this app will be huge
- edX is a learning platform for lifelong learners hence there is no specific targeted age group
- More than 35 million registered users and enrolments of over 110 million prove the success of the app
- Over 3500 courses are available in edX in various subjects such as AI, science, law, engineering, and business
- The courses in the app are taught in English however there are courses available in other languages as well
Coursera is a US-based online educational app founded in 2012 by Andrew Ng, and Daphne Koller.
- Coursera targets the age group 18 to 55 with its various available courses
- Coursera has over 82 million registered users
- The app contains more than 3500 different courses
- Apart from traditional topics such as science and maths, Coursera provides courses on modern relevant topics. For example machine learning, programming, and AI
- Globally recognized 29 universities provide their courses on Coursera
Duolingo is a US-based learning app that helps people learn different languages. Luis von Ahn and Severin Hacker founded the app back in 2011. Today Duolingo is a highly rated language learning app in the world.
- Duolingo offers free language learning programs
- More than 30 languages can be learned through Duolingo
- The app teaches a person a new language in a playful manner through games
- Duolingo has more than 500 million users worldwide
- The app provides an ad-free experience through its subscription plan
SoloLearn is a worldwide famous app for coding education. The app was founded in 2014 by Yeva Hyusyan in Armenia. The app provides in-depth education on coding.
- SoloLearn can be used by anyone above 12 years of age
- SoloLearn has over 21 million users
- SoloLearn is quite affordable in terms of its subscription plans
- Exercises problems in the courses are repeatable therefore one can revise
Skillshare is a US-based app for helping students in their creative approaches. The app provides classes on topics like arts, entrepreneurship, productivity, and creativity. The app was founded by Michael Karnjanaprakorn and Malcolm Ong in 2010.
- Skillshare promotes and encourages the creative approach. Hence people with a creative, mindset are the target customers of Skillshare
- As of 2022 Skillshare has around 12 million users
- The app provides online classes as well as course resources
- Group mode of an online class is a key feature of Skillshare
- Workshops along with the same level of creative approaching students are also notable in Skillshare
LightBot is a Canada-based learning app. This app provides education on coding through games. Danny Yaroslavski is the founder of the app. Mr. Yaroslavski founded LightBot in 2008.
- LightBot is a game-based educational tool for coding therefore its target audience is anyone associated with coding
- LightBot is used by more than 20 million students and thousands of teachers
- The game has 20 levels a total of which 8 are basic levels, 6 each of procedure and loop levels
- The educational gaming app is completely free of cost
Photomath is one of the revolutionary tools that is designed to solve maths problems and provide a detailed solution. Damir Sabol founded the app in 2014 in an attempt to help his sons with their homework.
- Photomath is a revolutionary app for solving maths problems. The app can detect maths problem through the device’s camera and provide the solution
- Students, parents, and teachers all can use Photomath
- More than 220 million people have downloaded Photomath
- The app has the ability to provide multiple solutions
- A scientific calculator is also available in the app
- With a Photomath Plus, subscription one can access features such as custom visual content
11. ALISON: Online Courses
ALISON is an Ireland-based app that provides online education on different topics and subjects. Mike Feerick, an entrepreneur from Ireland, founded the app back in 2007.
- ALISON provides education through more than 3500 courses
- Due to the vast inventory of courses the app has more than 23 million users from 195 countries
- All the courses are available in 9 different languages
- ALISON is also on the mission of providing education with a non-profit model, hence the app is completely free and so are the courses
Brainly is a Polish app that has the ability to solve any educational queries. The app is one type of community where questions can be asked and individuals will answer with solutions. In 2009, Michael Borkowski, Tomasz Kraus and Lukasz Haluch invented Brainly.
- Teenagers and their parents are the primary targets of Brainly
- More than 350 million users are active in Brainly
- Brainly can guide a student in every subject
- One can click the photo or type the question to search it in the app
- Community mode helps in solving doubts through different methods
Talking about e-learning apps and not including Youtube on the list is an injustice. Youtube, although it is a video platform for everything unless it is harmful to society, provides us the opportunity to learn and understand different topics.
Youtube was founded in 2005 by Steve Chen, Jawed Karim, and Chad Hurley.
- As per the statistics of Pew Research, 51% of American surf Youtube to learn something new
- Youtube also provides other educational apps to promote their educational content on its platform
- As of 2022, 2.6 billion students are using Youtube
- In 2015, more than 7,00,000 videos were on Youtube EDU
Reason For Educational Apps Being Successful
- Covid-19: Covid-19 has played a huge role in making educational apps highly successful. From 2020 remote learning is getting the interest of common people and educational apps are the best option for it.
- Career trends: The last decade has witnessed the birth of many new professions. These professions require a different kind of education and the required courses are not available everywhere hence apps gained the trust of people.
- Availability: The availability of the educational apps on all the common platforms is helping them stand out. The flexibility of learning at your own pace and anytime is today’s preference.
- Unlimited options: No limitation is there in the learning opportunity through the educational apps. One can access a large number of courses as per his need or choice.
- Custom learning: AI usage in these educational apps has enabled them to detect the accurate learning pace a person needs. So, a person can learn better through the apps.
- Visuals: The availability of visuals is also very helpful for learning new concepts and educational apps have the features to provide it.
Due to digitalization or Covid-19 human beings are adopting educational apps as a way of learning. An app capable of online streaming of classes, animated visuals of concepts, and tests are preferred by the learners.
The huge growth in educational apps usage has left its mark on young minds therefore in the upcoming time learning will be heavily dependent on these educational apps.
BYJU’s, Udemy, Duolingo, edX, and Photomath all bring unique features with them. These features are providing the learners with new experiences in learning.
So e-learning apps also need to plan accurately and create features that are capable of mitigating learners’ needs and a specific lack that other apps are failing to capitalize on.
Frequently Asked Questions About Educational Apps (FAQs)
Ans. Educational apps have a huge scope for earning money. The primary source is the subscription charge. Apart from it, ads, online portals to buy resources such as books, paid partnerships and limited-time offers of paid courses are common sources of earning for educational apps.
Ans. The best strategy to maximize profit through educational apps is to offer free access to courses for a limited duration hence the interest of a learner can blossom and he can take the subscription to the course.
Ans. An educational app’s most important feature is its content, as no matter what is the subscription charge or course fee if the content is bad the subscription rate will reduce. Apart from these mock tests, well-managed resources, a proper and user-friendly interface, recording mode, downloadable content, and maintenance of cyber security are the mandatory features of an educational app.