Different Categories Of EdTech Apps With Famous Examples
Different Categories Of EdTech Apps With Famous Examples
Last Updated on August 27, 2022
EdTech app is a combination of IT and education. It is aimed at improving and facilitating learning. EdTech apps have seen a huge rise in popularity due to many factors like covid, availability of more options in learning, and at a customized pace.
In case you plan on developing the best EdTech app in 2022, you must look at the features preferred by users, the importance of the app for them, and most importantly, decide the category of your EdTech app. In this article, we will present valuable insights into EdTech app categories.
The global education technology market has seen mammoth growth in recent times. Research from professionals has shown that the future is bright for EdTech apps.
According to Grand View Research, the global EdTech app market will be reaching $127 billion by 2022. The site has also predicted that the market will be seeing an uprise at a healthy CAGR of 16.5% in the 2022-2030 cycle.
Globe News Wire, also predicts that the industry is going to be valued at around $319.65 billion by 2029 at an amazing CAGR of 17.8% from 2022 to 2029. PR News Wire, also forecasted that the EdTech app market will be valued at $230 billion by 2028.
Important Categories Of EdTech Apps
Learning is not limited to any measure and so does technology. So the combination of these two is not going to be limited as well. Here we will present to you the most important categories in EdTech apps.
1. Immersive Tech
Immersive Tech is the most astonishing category in EdTech apps. It helps in merging the real world with a virtual one in order to provide a highly innovative learning experience. AR, VR, and MR are the prime technologies used in developing immersive tech-based EdTech apps.
Benefits Of Immersive Tech Apps-
- Creates an innovative engagement model for learners
- Helps in experiencing places, or events that are not attainable
- It helps in enhancing communication and teamwork among students
Example Of Immersive Tech App-
3DBear is one of the best apps in the Immersive Tech category of EdTech apps. The app brings a lot of features to enhance the learning experience of students. The app was released in 2017 and since then has been a prime example of the Immersive Tech category. The app has over 700K downloads as of 2022.
Interesting Facts About 3DBear-
- One can create AR scenes with the help of several 3D models
- Availability of millions of models
- The app also has a subscription plan for teachers named “3DBear Teacher Plan”.
2. Code And Technology
With the increasing influence of digitalization in every sector of our lives, the demand for app development services is rising higher day after day. EdTech apps offering lessons on coding and technology come under the category of Code and Technology.
Benefits Of Code And Technology Apps-
- Apps under this category offer an engaging environment for learners
- Helps in excelling in multiple skills from a younger age
- Learners can track their performance
Example Of Code And Technology App-
CodeSpark is one of the best platforms for kids to learn coding. The app was founded back in 2014. The app is focused on increasing children’s curiosity in coding which is why it offers lessons in a manner of game. The app has over 100K downloads combined on iOS and Android.
Interesting Facts About CodeSpark-
- The app is for children between the ages of 5 to 9
- Kids can learn coding through puzzles, challenges, and other creative tools
- The app has monthly and yearly plans for premium features
3. Learning Management System
The Learning Management System category is extremely focused on the companies or organizations offering educational services. Learning Management System apps are used for organizing all learning-related data and information, automation, reporting, and tracking the processes of learning.
Benefits Of Learning Management System Apps-
- All E-learning content can be organized in one place
- LMS EdTech apps help in minimizing paperwork and eliminate the risk of human error
- Apps of this EdTech category are capable of observing the improvement and performance of students
Example Of Learning Management System App-
TalentLMS is one of the top standard Learning Management System apps. The app is capable of facilitating the learning processes of organizations of all sizes. The app has more than 4 million active users.
Interesting Facts About TalentLMS-
- The TalentLMS app supports multiple languages
- Freemium version supports 5 users and 10 courses
- TalentLMS app has over 70,000 portals
4. Language Learning
The Language Learning category of EdTech apps is the most popular. This category of apps is the one that helps learners in learning new languages by offering a quality system and educational method.
Benefits Of Language Learning Apps-
- One can learn at his preferred timing
- Learners have the option to choose any language
- This category of apps often offers the chance to talk to native speakers
Examples Of Language Learning App-
Duolingo is the most famous Language Learning app in the world. This Language Learning app, which was launched back in 2011, offers lessons on speaking, reading, listening, and even writing. Duolingo has over 10.1 million active users per day.
Interesting Facts About Duolingo-
- Learners can learn more than 40 languages through the Duolingo app
- The app offers all the language courses completely free
- The app offers lessons through games so user engagement stays intact
5. Early Childhood Learning
Although the EdTech apps are improving day by day and offering new features and experiences with each innovation, it has not yet established themselves for kids. This is due to the younger age and the limited technological idea of the kids.
However, there are few EdTech apps offering the best learning experiences possible to younger kids. These apps are counted in the Early Childhood Learning category.
Benefits Of Early Childhood Learning Apps-
- It helps kids to get familiar with the latest technologies
- With catchy visualizations, kids can be engaged in a better way in learning programs
- Early Childhood Learning Apps help in identifying a kid’s interests
Examples Of Early Childhood Learning App-
Khan Academy Kids is one of the most famous apps in the Early Childhood Learning category. The app is capable of engaging kids in basic concepts of learning like reading, writing, language, and even math. The app promotes creativity among children.
Interesting Facts About Khan Academy Kids-
- Khan Academy Kids has a huge collection of videos, songs, and even tasks related to Early Childhood Learning.
- The app is for kids between the ages of 2 to 7
- With the implication of games, kids find it amazing
Apps that are based on STEM education are named under the STEM category of EdTech apps. STEM education is basically helping students develop and learn the application of the conceptual idea of science, technology, engineering, and math.
As digitalization is taking control of each and every department of businesses across industries it is proving that STEM apps are going to be in demand.
Benefits Of STEM Apps-
- The option to learn from anywhere at any time helps learners
- Learners can evaluate and understand a competitive environment
- Students can learn about the different approaches to memorizing different concepts
Examples Of STEM App-
Science For Kids by Tappity is one of the best STEM apps for learners. The lessons offered in this app are perfectly aligned with NGSS. The app is focused on everything related to science.
Interesting Facts About Science For Kids-
- The app is for kids aged between 4 to 10
- Users can find lessons, activities, and even stories on more than 100 topics
- The app has lessons on topics like astronomy, earth science, physics, and biology as well
7. Social-Emotional Learning
The modern world is experiencing quick changes and transformations. These transformations are impacting our mental health. EdTech apps that are focused on developing soft skills are tagged in the Social-Emotional Learning category.
The Social-Emotional Learning category follows five competencies-
- Social awareness
- Responsible decision-making
- Relationship skills
Benefits Of Social-Emotional Learning Apps-
- Learners can avail personalized learning experience
- Social-Emotional Learning apps can assess and track performances in a more appropriate manner
- Through Social-Emotional Learning apps students’ needs can be identified perfectly
Example Of Social-Emotional Learning App-
Flipgrid is a great example of a Social-Emotional Learning app. It is a tool that lets teachers upload descriptive questions and students can answer those questions with video replies. The application has more than 20 million learners from 180 countries.
Interesting Facts About Flipgrid-
- Flipgrid lets users unfold their stories by creating, trimming, or even rearranging a huge number of video clips
- User can share their work with others through the Whiteboards Mode and Live Inking feature
- More than 8000 topics created by teachers are available
8. Online Courses
Apart from all the categories mentioned above, there is one more category that can not be excluded from the category list at all. The category is Online Courses. EdTech apps that are focused on providing courses through online mediums are under this category.
Benefits Of Online Courses Apps-
- The learner can avail the courses anywhere and anytime
- Learners gain access to a huge range of learning resources
- There are a lot of free courses available on the Online Courses apps and the premium courses are also cost-effective
Example Of Online Courses App-
Udemy is arguably the best app to avail of an online course from. The app was founded back in 2010. Currently, the app has a user base of more than 52 million.
Interesting Facts About Udemy-
- Udemy offers online courses in 65 different languages
- The app has a huge course collection of almost 196,000 courses
- The app is offering students videos, lectures, assignments, and certificates as well
How Can You Generate Revenue Through An EdTech App?
EdTech apps are in huge demand and that’s why the competition is also at a higher level. So generating revenue is not an easy task for an EdTech app at current times.
But there are a few strategies one can implement to generate revenue from the EdTech apps.
- Freemium: Free version of the app or freemium version is one of the most preferred options in EdTech apps. In this strategy, businesses offer free services to users. This strategy is best for startups to gain the trust of customers and then make growth.
- Trial And Then Premium: This strategy is basically offering free services to customers only for a limited time and then asking for a service charge. This strategy will help the users understand the EdTech app and the lessons available in it. If they like the service they will most likely pay for the services as well.
- Ads: Ads are the most common strategy in generating revenue for every app. You can provide ads relevant to educational activities and courses in your Edtech app to gain more revenue. You can also offer users an ad-free subscription plan. If they are not interested in seeing the ads then they can buy the plan.
- Charge Per Course: This strategy is all about having specific charges for specific courses regardless of whether the user has subscribed to a plan or not. It will also help your EdTech app in generating more revenue.
Current Trends In EdTech Apps
In case you are planning to develop your own EdTech app, you must observe the key current trends to make your app a successful one.
- Immersive Technology Implication: EdTech apps are found to be using immersive technologies to a whole new extent. Technologies like AR, VR, and MR are getting utilized in the apps to offer a higher standard of the learning experience.
- Gamification: Learning while playing is the best method for understanding and excelling at different topics. EdTech apps for kids are using the gamification strategy more than others. A competitive environment can be created through this strategy which will act as a tool of motivation.
- AI: AI in the EdTech apps is one of the biggest game changers. PR News Wire has forecasted that AI in the educational market will be worth of $32.27 billion by 2030. AI helps in tracking learners’ behaviors and customization as per the user’s needs.
- Nano Learning: It is a trend of offering bite-sized lessons through EdTech apps. This method is aimed at offering short lessons in a more engaging manner.
Education has always been an essential aspect to grow and implementing technology has presented us with advanced solutions in the form of EdTech apps.
All the above EdTech app categories are focusing on a distinctive customer base with different needs and requirements. So before developing your own EdTech app it is important to analyze your educational business and evaluate your target audience.
Once you have your target audience you must focus on the trends and revenue strategies to make your app effective in growing your business.
Oyelabs is more than capable of helping you in identifying your business needs, the best category, and also identifying the key trends for your business. We are also open to working if you want to develop your own customized EdTech app.
Frequently Asked Questions About EdTech Apps (FAQs)
Que. What are some examples of coding apps for kids to help them learn to program?
Ans.CodeSpark, Bee-Bot, SpriteBox, ScratchJr, Lightbot, Lightbot Jr, and Tynker are some best examples of coding apps for kids that can help them in learning programming.
Que. Are EdTech apps profitable?
Ans. Reports from Exploding Topics say that EdTech usage has increased by 99% in K-12 schools since covid-19. The site also predicts that the EdTech market will possibly reach $605 billion worth by 2027. As per Technavio, the K-12 game-oriented learning market is also forecasted to be increasing by 20% every year through 2025. These stats prove that the EdTech apps have a bright future ahead.
To concrete the fact that EdTech apps are profitable there are a huge number of examples. Duolingo generated nearly $88.3 million only in the second quarter of 2022. On the other hand, CodeSpark generated a revenue of $500K only in July 2022.
Oyelabs is one of the best EdTech app developers offering full cycle EdTech app development services from idea creation to launching. Contact us now to know more.
Que. What is the cost of developing an EdTech app?
Ans. The cost of an EdTech app development depends on the factors like the type of app, features you want, technologies required, the platform you want the app to be developed for, and the number of developers along with the required timeframe. So without any discussion, it is not possible to calculate the actual cost.
However, we can inform you about the estimated cost that you need a minimum of $134,850 for an EdTech app for one platform namely iOS or Android, and $202,500 for both platforms.