Entrepreneur’s Guide to Creating a Successful Women’s Health Tracking App
Entrepreneur’s Guide to Creating a Successful Women’s Health Tracking App
Last Updated on August 18, 2022
The mHealth market had been ruling the app stores for a long time, but there has been an upsurge of interest in apps covering everything from fitness to nutrition- all with a special focus on female populations. For example, fitness trackers have always been around, but they weren’t specifically designed with reproductive cycle or female-specific needs until recently when companies realized how women were interested not just in their general well-being but also in things like mood swings during menstruation which can affect their performance.
What is Femtech?
Femtech is a growing industry of technology products and services focused on women’s health. The term “Femtech” was first used by Ida Tin, CEO of Clue, a period tracking app, in 2014. According to Emergenresearch, the global Femtech market was valued at $18.75 billion in 2019 and is anticipated to reach $60.01 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 15.6%. Femtech refers to technology that is designed to improve women’s health, both physical and mental. This can include everything from fertility tracking apps to reproductive health devices to mental health tools.
While Femtech products and services are often geared toward cisgender women and those with a uterus, there is an increasing focus on serving the needs of all individuals with menstrual cycles, including Trans and non-binary people. There are many types of Femtech products on the market, but one of the most popular categories is women’s health tracking mobile apps. These apps allow users to track their menstrual cycles, ovulation, and fertility windows in order to manage their reproductive health and provide educational resources on contraception, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and pregnancy.
Scope for Investors in the Femtech Industry
The Femtech industry has experienced significant growth in recent years, driven by the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases like obesity, endometriosis, diabetes, and PCOS. In addition, the need for self-care management and the rising adoption of smartphones and other mobile devices is another key factor propelling the demand for these apps. In addition, rising awareness regarding fitness and health among women is expected to be a significant factor driving the growth of this market. Women are increasingly using these apps to track their fitness goals and monitor their overall health. This presents a massive opportunity for investors looking to get involved in this rapidly growing industry. We’ve put together this step-by-step guide to help you build a women’s health tracking mobile app.
Types of Femtech Apps
The Femtech market has over $1 billion in VC funding to date, according to CBinsights, and it’s just beginning. It consists of a dizzying array of solutions, from fertility testing kits, D2C feminine hygiene, feminine care products, and fertility monitoring wearables. Some of the apps in this market include:
- Period Tracking App
- Birth Control Reminder Apps
- Sexual wellness apps
- Digital Health Clinics
- Fitness Apps Dedicated to Women
- Feminine Hygiene Apps
- Pills Reminder Apps
- Lactating Apps
- Postnatal Apps
- Online Consultation
- Child Development Tracker Apps
Top Features in Female’s Health Tracking App
Several features can make a women’s health tracking app valuable and useful. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Smooth Onboarding: Onboarding is the process of getting your users up to speed with what they need in order for them to be successful. Smooth onboarding helps retain clients by ensuring everyone knows how things work from day one. You can consider two onboarding types: email and passwords or social media integration.
- Health Profile: The detailed health profile allows users to create a simple user profile by filling in t basic information. Since users are confiding their most private details, it’s important not to burden them with irrelevant questions.
- Notifications: Notifications are important for your application to reach out and keep users engaged. You can send notifications about log entries as well as remind them about taking medications or starting the next phase in their cycle.
- Menstrual cycle tracking: The ability to track menstrual cycles is one of the most basic but essential features of any women’s health tracking app. This information can predict ovulation and fertility windows and help identify any irregularities in their cycles.
- Confidentiality and Security: Since the app deals with sensitive health information, it is critical to ensure that user data is confidential and secure. The app should have privacy settings that allow users to control who has access to their data. Enable password protection and authorization to protect users’ personal information and data protection.
- Connectivity: In order for the app to be useful, it must be able to connect with other devices and systems. For example, it should be able to sync with fitness trackers and devices like glucometers. It should also be able to connect with doctors’ offices and clinics in order to make appointments and share health information.
- Fertility tracking: In addition to menstrual and ovulation tracking, some women’s health tracking apps also offer fertility tracking. This can be helpful for those who are trying to conceive, as it allows them to better understand fertility and identify any potential issues.
- Mood tracking: Many women’s health tracking apps also offer mood tracking features. This can help identify any potential hormonal imbalances affecting their mood. It can also help them track how their mood fluctuates throughout their cycle.
- Chat Mode: Women love to chat, hence you can consider adding chats to your feature set, trying to create a better sense of community around their solutions. Group chats or moderated forums are for sharing advice.
- Education and resources: Some women’s health tracking apps also offer educational resources on various topics related to women’s health, such as menstrual cycles, ovulation, and fertility. This will help them better understand their bodies and make informed decisions about their health.
- Communication with Doctors: This is an important feature for users who want more information or assistance with their health. By providing a way to connect with medical professionals who can offer online advice, recommend treatment plans, and even administer medication through text messages or voice calls, your app can help users get the care they need.
How to Get Started with Creating a Women’s Health Tracking Mobile App
You should keep a few things in mind if you’re looking to develop a women’s health tracking mobile app.
- Purpose and target audience
The first step to building a women’s health tracking mobile app is to define its purpose and target audience. For example, for a women’s health tracking app, your purpose could be helping women manage their menstrual cycles, ovulation, fertility windows, moods, energy levels, and changes in the body, educating users on women’s health topics, etc.
It’s important to consider the needs of your target audience. What kind of information do they need? What kind of features would be most helpful to them? Think about who will be using your app and what needs they have. For example, are you targeting women who want to get pregnant? Or women who want to avoid pregnancy? Your target audience will determine the features you include in your app. Answering these questions will help you determine what features to include in your app and how to market it.
- Competitive Analysis
It’s important to know what you’re up against before developing your app. Research what other apps are out there that serve the same or similar purpose. How do they work? What features do they offer? What could you do differently to make your app stand out? What would make your app unique? What would appeal to your target audience? Make a list of the ones you like and dislike, and think about how you can improve upon them. Remember that not all features need to be unique – sometimes, cloning what’s already out there can be a good thing. But try to focus on offering something that other apps don’t.
- Design and Functionality
Once you have a good understanding of your target audience, you can start thinking about your app’s design and functionality. It’s also important to remember that a women’s health tracking app is likely to be used by people of all ages, so it’s essential to ensure the design is user-friendly and easy to navigate.
- Create a list of features
It’s time to start thinking about the features you want to include in your app. What will make your app unique? How can you make it user-friendly and easy to navigate? Keep your target audience in mind as you brainstorm features.
- Find a mobile app development company
The success of your app will depend on the quality of the development process; hence it is essential to partner with the best mobile app development company to develop a women’s health tracking app.
There are a few things that you should look for when choosing a mobile app development company:
- A proven track record in developing successful mobile apps.
- An experienced and skilled team of developers
- Commitment to using the latest technologies
- Dedication to meeting your specific needs and requirements
Once you have found a mobile app development company that meets all of these criteria, you can be confident that your app will be developed successfully and meet your expectations.
- Create a prototype
Once you have found a development company, you will need to create a prototype of your app. A prototype is a way to test your app idea before starting development. It can help you get feedback from potential users and ensure that your app is headed in the right direction. This will help the developers understand your vision and ensure that they are on the same page as you are
Before launching your app, it is important to test it to ensure everything is working correctly.
- Launch your app
Once you have tested your app, it’s time to launch it for the world to see. Make sure to promote your app through social media and other channels, so potential users can find it and start using it.
- Update and improve your app
After you’ve released your app to the public, it’s important to continue to monitor its performance and user feedback. Use this feedback to update and improve your app regularly. This will help you identify any issues that may arise and ensure that your app is always up-to-date with the latest features and security updates.
Related: Guide To Make A Health And Fitness App
READY TO LAUNCH YOUR APP?
How To Monetize a Women’s Health and Period Tracking App
You can monetize a women’s health tracking app in a few different ways.
- One way is to charge users a monthly or annual subscription fee. This can give you a steady income that you can use to support the app and its development.
- Another way to monetize the app is to charge for premium features. For example, you could offer a basic app version free but charge users for features like additional tracking options, custom reports, or personalized advice from medical professionals.
- Finally, you could also sell advertising space within the app to companies that sell products or services related to women’s health. This could be an effective way to generate revenue, but it’s important to ensure that the ads are relevant and targeted to your audience so that they don’t become a nuisance.
Whatever monetization strategy you choose, make sure it aligns with your app’s overall mission and purpose.
Tech Stack for the Women’s Health Tracking Application
There are a few different tech stack options you can use to build a women’s health tracking app. First, you’ll need to consider which programming language you want to use and which tools and frameworks best suit the features you want to include. Once you’ve decided on the tech stack, you can build the app’s front and backend.
- To create the app’s front end, you can use React Native or Flutter.
- For the backend, you can use Node.js with Express. You’ll need to create a database to store users’ data. You’ll also need to build an API to allow the frontend to communicate with the backend.
- MongoDB can be used as the database solution. Other tools and technologies you will need include:
- Twilio for SMS notifications
- Stripe for payments
- SendGrid for email notifications
- Google Maps API for location-based features
Cost of Creating a Women’s Health Tracking App
The cost of creating a women’s health tracking app will vary depending on the features and functionality you include in the app. For example, the cost will be higher if you want to include complex features like artificial intelligence or machine learning. To get a better idea of the cost of your app, we recommend contacting a mobile app development company. They will be able to give you a more accurate estimate based on your specific requirements.
Partner with Oyelabs to Create Your Custom Women’s Health Tracking App
Oyelabs has a team of expert developers with years of experience creating custom mobile apps. We will work with you to understand your specific needs and requirements and build an app that meets all your expectations.
We have a proven track record of delivering high-quality mobile apps for our clients. Our team is dedicated to providing the best possible service. We will work closely with you throughout the development process to ensure you are happy with the final product. If you are looking for a company to create a custom women’s health tracking app, then Oyelabs is a perfect choice. Contact us today to discuss your project requirements.